Of the infinite motivating forces and practical constraints that will affect a business's CR agenda, I think there are two that need to be especially carefully balanced. But pitch the practical (business case, resources required, turning effort into results) against the idealistic (ethics, inspiring people, creating a vision) and the former will win almost every time. It is easy to see why, and I am not saying that isn't the way it should be. However, too much of either and you are taking a risk. Too practical and you may end up with an uninspiring and limited set of activities with equally limited effects. Too idealistic and you could be scoffed at all the while you fail to progress to your utopian fantasies.
I am a champion of the over-looked idealist, though. I worry that if we are too realistic we may be tempted not to really get stuck in or have big dreams. That is not good enough in any area of life or business and it smacks of quitting before you really start - would you think that about product development or marketing? I think not. Now, I am not suggesting going all guns blazing at an idea that seems improbable (or impossible!), but don't give it a miss just because it makes your brain ache or you think it will be difficult.
I call myself a realistic idealist. My ideals are the driving force, with my realistic side creating the day-to-day steps and solutions. Too flaky for you? Well, that's just too bad, isn't it.
Oow... I just read this on Liberty London Girl and thought it might be good food for thought. Or worth connecting with her at some point perhaps.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.libertylondongirl.com/2012/07/12/old-english-garden-at-battersea-park-by-thrive-for-jo-malone/
Love the writing. Finally a CSR person I can understand!