I am the last member of my family to get my motorbike license, but get it I will! When I do, will I be joining a group with a seriously dirty habit?
Wanting to pass my test poses something of a moral / environmental dilemma for me. Well, more precisly getting a motorbike does, but what is the point in passing my test if I don't invest in a bike? Back to the more pertinent dilemma. Gas. Or more precisely, petrol. Can I justify swapping my lengthy public transport commute for a speedy motorbike? My route is downright dangerous for bikers, so that's a no. Just for fun? Cue endless guilt about needless (and expensive, let's not forget!) fuel going down the metaphorical drain. F1 makes me shudder - vast amounts of fuel and money being burnt with a bit of demeaning female 'glamour' thrown in. That said, I love to drive fast and would give anything to drive the Nurburgring.
If a motorbike was to replace my car (more environmental shame) there are immediate stumbling blocks. Limited space for passengers, human or feline. Minimal space for luggage, which can be tricky on long journeys (my norm is c.4-5 hours on clear roads), and to start with I wouldn't have the experience to stay on that long. So where does that leave me? Not a clue...
There we have it - I am a hypocrite and my contradicting feelings/beliefs have left my head stuck in the sand.
So where is the magical tipping point when an individual will modify their behaviour...?
No comments:
Post a Comment